At RailTerm, we are serious about our responsibility to be safe. Working safely is our number one priority because we care about our employees and our customers. We train our employees on safe work practices and procedures to ensure compliance in all they do – so that everyone goes home at the end of the day without injury.
We know that our leaders shape the safety culture. We require managers to lead by example and to hold their foremen and supervisors to the same standard. We ask that daily briefings and safety plans be communicated clearly so that our people understand what is expected of them in order to do the job properly and with awareness.
We work continuously to build employee engagement with safety. Everyone here is responsible for their own safety and the safety of others, regardless of position or job description. RailTerm employees are encouraged to be passionate about this and everyone is expected to speak up if they see something that isn’t up to our standards.
- Safety management systems
- Railway operating rules training
- Safety awareness and training
- Health & Safety committees and monthly workplace inspection
- Daily briefings
- Efficiency testing
- Leadership training
- Risk assessment and hazard reporting procedures
- Employee conference calls
- Safety bulletins and monthly safety emails
- Employee involvement in safety initiatives
- Federal Railroad Administration and Transport Canada audits
- Rule violation, injury rate, motor vehicle incident and near miss statistics
- Yearly safety statistics recap with business unit leaders
- COR certification
- Workplace health & safety records